One of the most important musicals in Broadway history, West Side Story, is coming to town with 21 performances between 1-18 March 2017 in the Zorlu PSM Main Stage!
Defined as a modern adaptation of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet since the first time it was staged in 1957, West Side Story has periodically met with audiences on the Broadway stage in many occasions. The musical, which has attracted record-breaking audiences, was adapted from Arthur Laurents’ book. Turning into a global phenomenon with the Tony Award winning masterful choreography of Jerome Robbins, music composed by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics written by Stephen Sondheim, West Side Story has cemented its success through global tours, shows and adaptations.
The success of the show on stage was adapted to the silver screen in 1961. West End Story, directed by Jerome Robbins and Robert Wise, won 10 Academy Awards including Best Motion Picture, Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Rita Moreno) and Best Actor in a Supporting Role (George Chakiris).
Leaving its mark on Broadway with 732 performances during the first year it was staged in 1957, the show was nominated for 6 Tony Awards. After touring several states in the USA, West Side Story set foot in Europe for the first time in 1958. The musical took the road for London after it was staged in Manchester, England. The England tour took 3 years and included 1039 performances. The musical returned to Broadway in 1980 and 2009 after meeting fans with extensive tours throughout the globe. The return in 1980 and 2009 contained 333 and 748 performances respectively. The restaged West Side Story in 2009 broke records with total ticket sales extending over 1 million.
The iconic musical, which tells the competition between the Puerto Rican gang ‘The Sharks’ and the American gang ‘The Jets’ on the streets of New York with a sublime choreography while focusing on the love of opposing gang members Tony and Maria, has gained acclaim especially with songs by Leonard Bernstein that include Maria, Tonight, Somewhere, America and I Feel Pretty.
West Side Story, the Broadway phenomenon, will meet you in its 50th anniversary in the Zorlu PSM Main Stage between 1-18 March 2017.
- The original plan of the West Side Story production was to cast James Dean as Tony. This plan fell through after the famous actor passed away at a young age.
- The first Broadway adventure of West Side Story featured an orchestra of 31 people conducted by Leonard Bernstein.
- Pianist André Previn released an album in 1959 which contains jazz versions of 8 songs from West Side Story musical.
- The soundtrack of the adapted film in 1961 won a Grammy for Best Sound Track Album or Recording of Music Score from Motion Picture or Television.
- World famous musicians such as Dave Brubeck, Buddy Rich, Natalie Cole, Aretha Franklin, Phil Collins and Chick Corea played interpretations of the songs from the musical at various times.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm, That 70’s Show, Animaniacs, Tom and Jerry, and Toy Story are among the many famous productions to have scenes that refers to West Side Story.